Frequenty Asked Questions
about Rigid Core Luxury Vinyl Flooring
Without a doubt, the fastest growing segment in Luxury Vinyl Flooring is the Rigid Core segment. So naturally, there are a lot of questions regarding this new type of LVT. Here are a few of the most asked questions we have encountered.
Q: What is the difference between traditional or Flexible LVT and the new Rigid Core LVT?
Q: What are the advantages to Rigid Core LVT flooring?
Q: What does “MLF” mean?
Q: What are the different types of Multilayer LVT flooring?
Q: What are the similarities and differences between WPC and SPC flooring?
A: All are considered to be Rigid Core LVT, are 100% waterproof and considered dimensionally stable. Also, all are good at hiding some common subfloor imperfections. (With Flexible LVT, on the other hand, subfloor imperfections can sometimes be transferred (or “telegraphed”) to the surface.)
The principle differences are found in the construction of the core:
- For WPC, a foaming agent is used to create tiny air pockets in the extrusion process for more comfort underfoot, better acoustical quality and lighter overall weight
- For SPC, there are no air pockets—the core is solid. The product is heavier and dent resistance is greater
Q: What kind of Rigid Core LVT Flooring does Novalis® make?
A: The Novalis® core made with a foaming agent is called “High Performance Core” (HPC). The Novalis® core that’s solid, without the use of a foaming agent, is called “High Density Core” (HDC).
Q: Does Novalis manufacture WPC and SPC flooring?
Q: In what Novalis® LVT flooring will I find the High Performance Core (HPC)?
Q:In what Novalis® LVT flooring will I find the High Density Core (HDC)?
Q: Is a Rigid Core LVT more difficult to cut than Flexible LVT?
Q: Does Rigid Core LVT need special handling or more or less acclimation than Flexible LVT?
Q: Should I use an underlayment with Rigid Core LVT?
Q: Does Rigid Core LVT expand and contract like Flexible LVT? What do I need to know about using transitions and spacers?
Q: What are “common subfloor imperfections?”
Q: If Rigid Core LVT is waterproof, can I use it outside?
Q: Can I use grout with Rigid Core LVT?
Q: Where can I get more information about Novalis® Rigid Core Flooring?
1. Ask your NovaFloor® Elite Dealer. The Elite Dealer carries the full line of NovaFloor® products, including Rigid Core LVT made by Novalis® and will give you knowledgeable answers. You’ll find the NovaFloor® Elite Dealer nearest you by consulting our Dealer Locator page at NovaFloor.us.
2. Check out our Tech Info page at NovaFloor.us for the warranty information, installation and care instructions for your NovaFloor® Rigid Core LVT flooring.
3. Send us your questions on the Contact Us page at NovaFloor.us. We’re here to help you!
4. If you’re an architect or designer and have questions about AVA® Rigid Core LVT products, consult your AVA® representative or visit AVAFlor.com for tech info and contact information.